What to do when you have some extra fruit or berries? Try making your own fruit liqueur. The general procedure is:
- Combine 1 lb fruit or berries, 750 ml vodka and 1 cup sugar.
- Shake gently every day for 2-4 weeks
- After 3 months strain out the fruit and let the liqueur sit for another 3 months
- If you are using fruit it will need to be cut into small pieces.
- I do this in a 2 qt canning jar.
- Save the vodka bottle to put the liqueur back in.
- You can add more sugar at the end if you like it sweeter, but it might take a few days to dissolve. So do it in small steps.
My experience has been with black raspberries and the resulting liqueur is almost black. Make sure you are using good tasting, flavorful fruit. You don’t want to invest 6 months and a bottle of vodka on bad tasting fruit.